Thursday, April 17, 2014

Letters from Jesus (Holy Week Part 4)

The names of God revealed in scripture give us glimpses into his character. For Holy Week, I am posting one letter every day from a different name of Jesus. These messages are lifted from God's word (references are below each letter), birthed in prayer, and intended to be a personal missive from the heart of God's character to you.  May you be blessed, and may the Name(s) of Jesus be glorified through my imperfect words.

Dear Child,
   
The Son of Man is a man like any other human.  Fully, completely, vulnerably, painfully, beautifully human.  My body formed in the womb of a woman--a mother like your mother.  I grew up as any boy would-- I cried for comfort and nourishment, I toddled and stumbled, I grew up gawky.  I worked and slept and ate and studied and grew strong and wise. I had family and friends and enemies.

I call myself "Son of Man" to remind you that I came to Earth to serve and not to be served.  I emptied myself of any advantage of deity, and submitted completely to the Father's will for my life.  I understand your weaknesses and weariness, little one.  In every respect I was as you are; yet I was without sin.  I lived a perfect life on your behalf.  My very real body lived and died, bled and breathed this life for you. When I died, my body grew cold in a tomb, 3 days cold, before warming again, lungs filling again, blood pumping again.

I am the flesh-and-blood Son of Man and perfect and spotless Son of God.  Don’t you see? You don't have to be perfect; I did it for you.  My righteousness wraps around your life like a snow white robe. Now you, too, can die to your old life and become real again. This is the delight of the Son of Man—for you to become the person I made you to be, dead to sin and alive to God. Eternal, abundant life is yours because of
 

The Son of Man

"For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."
Mark 10:45

Phil 2:6-8, Luke 2:52, Hebrews 4:15, Romans 6:11, 2 Corinthians 5:21, Revelation 19:8

No comments:

Post a Comment